Monday, September 30, 2013

Savage River Hiking

Even though we had to pack up to leave, we had time to go hiking first.  Marty got the little pack out of the car and that's when I knew this was going to be more than just another walk!  We left from the lodge (dogs are not allowed inside the lodge, but Marty and Lyle say it's really nice) and hiked down the Savage River Trail to the Outer Loop Trail and then around the Red Oak Trail.  Marty says this was about six miles, but Lyle says it was only four and a half.  I say let's do it again soon and I will wear the GPS watch on my collar!


My very favorite thing about Savage River Lodge is that Koko and Karma say it's okay to let your humans off the leash when you're hiking on the trails.  (You need to keep them on their leashes around the lodge and the cabins.)  So we did almost the whole hike off the leash.  This was so cool because I still have not been able to convince my lazy slug humans to go as fast or to investigate as many things as I think they should.  When I don't have to worry about getting them to walk nicely on the leash, I can just do things at my own pace and keep checking on them.  I did have to put them on the leash to cross the road and once because Marty got too excited about practicing "leave it" around some horse poop.  But other than that, no leashes!  (Let me just say, most humans do not walk as nicely on leash as Marty is walking with me right here.)

We practiced them giving me treats when I come to them a lot.  This is one of their favorite games because they get to stand still like the lazy slugs that they are and I get to RUN REALLY FAST between them.  It's fun for me too, plus they usually give me really good treats for this game.








There's a lot of water on the first part of the Outer Loop Trail and I got to play in that for as long as I wanted.  I got really muddy and it was so fun.



When we got back to the car I got to meet Mike (the crazies already knew him).  He's the human in charge of Savage River Lodge.  He's very cool but very busy so we didn't get a picture.  Maybe next time we visit.  I can see that he's had some really good dogs that have trained him right!


No comments:

Post a Comment